The Envirothon is a problem solving natural resource competition for high school student teams. In St. Mary’s County, the Envirothon is sponsored by the District with financial support coming from many local businesses, organizations, and individuals. The Envirothon is open to all schools, organized clubs, and home schoolers in grades 9-12.
Five (5) member teams of students are tested on their knowledge in five (5) natural resource areas; aquatics, forestry, soils, wildlife, and a current natural resource issue. Training is provided year round starting with the school year in September and culminates with the testing in April. The training is provided by natural resource professionals using as much hands-on demonstration as the topic will allow.
Individual awards are given to each member of the team that wins each subject area, and group awards are presented to the top three (3) high scoring teams. The first place winner goes on to represent St. Mary’s County at the State Competition.
For more information on the Envirothon, contact Bruce Young or Haley Carter.
Envirothon Calendar of Events
- Fall Training – October 25, 2022, Hunters Hill Farm (Jarboe Farm), Leonardtown
- Spring Training – March 30, 2023, Hunters Hill Farm (Jarboe Farm), Leonardtown
- County Competition – April 27, 2023, Hunters Hill Farm (Jarboe Farm), Leonardtown
- Maryland Envirothon – Western 4H Park in Garrett County, June 15-16, 2023
- NCF Envirothon (national competition) – Mount Allison University, Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada, July 23- 29, 2023